Login | Register
 
Home
About Us
Marais Elected Board
About our Location
Photo Albums
Contact Us
 
Marais Community Newsletters
Important Local Contacts
Board Members Contacts
Marais Resident Directory
POA Operations/Reports
Member Requests
 
 
Marais Tenant Information
 
 
Real Estate Professionals & Financial Firms
 
News  
   

Return to List
Quick Fact Friday 2019-03-29
Posted on Mar 29th, 2019

Though many homes and churches within the District are designated historical, the original application included only ten sites, among them: the Hibben House, built in 1759, as the center of the eponymous Mount Pleasant plantation of Jacob Motte; Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church, built in 1847, which also served as a hospital in the Civil War and the first meeting place for the future Laing School; St Andrews Episcopal Church, built in 1857 from a design by Charleston architect Edward Brickell White; the old Berkeley County Court House, now known as the Darby Building, built in 1884; and, the cemetery behind the Darby Building containing the War of 1812 monument. For the full listing see the nomination form linked below.  

 

In 1979 the Town of Mount Pleasant created a more expansive, local historic district, named the Old Village Historic District, and with it a similarly named town commission, to act as a board of architectural review and protect structures of historical importance. For those interested in touring the two overlapping districts and adjacent points of interest, Moultrie Middle School has produced a walking tour, linked below and available on the Town's website under the "Our History" tab.

 

  

For more information: Historic District Nomination FormMoultrie Middle School's Old Village Historical Marker Walking Tour

Image credit: Town of Mount Pleasant Old Village Historic District Resident Guide
 
Comments
No Comments

 

 
 
© Copyright 2019 MaraisPOA | Community Website by HOA Sites | Terms of Use | Admin